Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blue Island Letter #5

First of all, I have to pass on some wonderful advice. I was talking with my mission president about the companionship of the Spirit. He put it quite simply that one of the greatest keys to having the Spirit's companionship is to be grateful, especially in those "tough to see the blessings" situations. I'll be really honest, I've been in "tough to see the blessings" situations. However, the blessings are always there.

In these past weeks, each time I dug to find the blessings, I hit gold every time. More than gold. Despite battles and hardships, I can honestly say that I have had the companionship of the Spirit more prevalent to me. I didn't connect the dots before; but, as I increased my efforts to search out the blessings and show Heavenly Father my gratitude, the Spirit's influence also increased.

As we find ourselves in difficult situations, look for the hidden treasure. You'll find it, as you express gratitude. Thank Heavenly Father for the gold mines we come across, no matter where we find them. I think some of the greatest gold mines I've come across this past week were very small things: a pair of shoes (thanks Mom and Dad), an invitation to a sticker club (shout out to Taven Duffey), letters of understanding, four cancelled appointments in one night (I'll explain later), and a random hug from a nice lady. Those were some treasures that came to me this week. I also dug to find some treasure in the sunshine, seeing a suburban like Mom's and thinking of memories with her, and searching for opportunities to share some gold with other people. Then, by the end of the week, another gold find: GENERAL CONFERENCE!

Wherever they are, there are treasures to be found. Sometimes I just forget to look. Then, I forget to say thank you. I think the greatest treasure of all these past weeks has been getting on my knees and praying. What a priviledge to talk to Heavenly Father and to be heard. It's become my map for finding all the hidden treasure. He gives me new maps everyday - often several maps at one time.

Let's switch gears and talk baseball. I always understood "three strikes & you're out" in the game of baseball (it's happened to me before, I know -- but, it only ever happened once or twice...) Well, the other day, we got four strikes, then a Grand Slam! That's going to throw sports commentators for a loop! The other night we received a phone call. Appointment cancelled. Backup plan. Cancelled. Next plan. No go. Next...nope, not happening. So........what now? Let's visit this man at the taqueria that the Elders told us about. Arturo. We headed for the taqueria, and found it easily. There was legal parking just across the street, to top it off. Arturo was there, and sat to talk with us. We talked about his life and experiences, and his struggles. We began teaching, but were interrupted several times so that he could tell us he'd like to arrange a ride so that he can go to Church every Sunday, and to plan a regular time that we can come to teach him. The next day, we went to our scheduled appointment with him. He wasn't there; his doctor's appointment had been changed. Tuesday, we strike out again! (so we thought). Our regular appointment cancels, our referral shuts us down, and our phone rings. Arturo. We went to visit him in the hospital, where he opened up to us about his desires to follow Christ; his willingness and desire to change his life in order to do so. He's had so many struggles in the past; yet, he is a man of faith and hope. He's planning to come to Church this Sunday and to be baptized the end of October!

I'm grateful that the Lord's work isn't a game of baseball. Life doesn't have to abide by the same rules. God guided us by our cancelled plans to His far-better-plan. Four strikes was just what we needed, and what Arturo needed. It's easy to get down, thinking that nothing's working out; in reality, EVERYTHING is working out just right. Sometimes we need to swing a few times before we make solid contact.

Maybe that's why I still strike our a lot in Spanish...I'm warming up for a grand slam, right?

Thank you for the letters. I've been lifted and comforted by some unexpected letters. Thank you. I pray that you each find gold mines equal to the ones that you've placed in my hands.

Happy Face :)

No comments:

Post a Comment