Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Blue Island Letter #4

Well, Headlines in Chicago are going crazy because...

Hermana Hoer and SuperBike united AGAIN!

Just for the day...When we received our email informing us of our assignments to go on exchanges, I nearly jumped for joy when I saw that I would be with Hermana Mackley (my previous companion) in the Loop (my previous area). In other words, I'd be back on my SuperBike!!!

We championed the Riotous Rain and Wicked Wind together for yet another time. Luckily HumidHeat was nowhere to be found - I think SuperBike and I scared him off for a time.

Today, I want to share something I was thinking about the other morning.

Ever since I can remember, Alma 37:6-7 has been a scripture used and quoted often. I've even quoted it - many times. Small and simple things are God's means of bringing about great things.

Alma was talking to his son when he said those well known words. But, what was he referring to? What small and simple things?

In the preceding verses, Alma speaks to his son about the charge of keeping the records (scriptures). They are sacred and are to be kept for great purposes, he tells his son. Then, he tells his son that "they must retain their brightness".

THAT is the small and simple thing that Alma says "many may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass... to bring about his [God's] great and eternal purposes...and bringeth about the salvation of many souls." (Alma 37:6-7)

Yeah, he's right. Keeping the plates (scriptural record) bright and shiny seems somewhat trivial. The scriptures still would have been the scriptures, whether or not they were kept bright. They still would've brought about God's purposes and salvation. But, I doubt Alma would've been Alma. Maybe the eternal purposes for ALMA wouldn't have been as great.

I bet most people would think it's a waste of time - to keep the plates shiny bright. Most would say he's a goody goody; that it was stupid; that it wasn't worth it.

Several times in my life, the small and simple things (that others thought were stupid) have made the eternal, great differences within me. I think, that as Alma shined and protected those places, God shined and refined Alma. As I've done small and simple things, "stupid" little things, to protect and shine the sacred things He's given me, their brillance increases.

What sacred things has He entrusted to me? To you? My body. How I dress may be small and simple to some. How I act, what I say, the looks I give. Seemingly small. The results are great and lasting. What else? My family. How do I treat them? What kind of time do I give to them? do I stop doing dishes to talk to a three year old about his picture? Small and simple. My talents, time on a mission, kids, spouses, callings, scriptures, think of all the things God has entrusted you. What small and simple ways can you keep them bright?

The plates would still be legible if Alma didn't keep them bright. It's not about what God has given - it's about what we do with what we're given from God. What may seem foolish to others may be exactly what is required to receive the greatness God has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment