Monday, March 14, 2011

MTC Letter #3

2 Nephi 9:29 says that to be Spiritually Minded Is Life Eternal. Take out the letters: SMILE!!!! That is what being spritually minded makes me do. Living the teachings of Jesus Christ makes me smile. It makes me happy in ways that nothing else in the world can. Missions are hard. But they are happy.

I made a new friend. Brother Strock and his wife serve here at the MTC. He pointed out something neat:

Fruit starts out green. Then it ripens into bright colors; but, for how long is it ripe? Not too long after ripening, the fruit rots.

What is my point? Stay green! Stay new! New missionaries are always called "greenies". Is that such a bad thing? Not if you ask me. Christ tells us to be like children, with hearts and minds open, teachable, humble. Those are qualities that bring true happiness. Be open to Christ, to His words. Let Him teach you. Be humble and adapt to His instruction. Next time I feel uncomfortable being new, or want to pretend I know what I'm doing because I don't actually know, I'm going to think of Brother Strock. Being new, open, needing help is a gift. Especially when I know that I have heavenly help with my name on it.

Christ takes the bad and gives the good in exchange. Does that even make sense? He takes our misery and gives us peace. He takes our turmoil and gives us hope. He takes our emptiness and gives us fullness. He takes our pain and gives us joy. Christ chose to wear the markings of His mission on His hands. He kept His scars on His feet, His wrists, and hands. I thought a lot about that this week. I wear His name on my name plaque. I represent Him. Yet I complain about tough times and hard things. I've realized that each of those tough experiences are an opportunity to stand with Christ, do hard things. I will never come anywhere near close to experiencing what Christ did. But, I know that Christ knows anything I've experienced. And He is there to help. All I need to do is ask. The proof is in His hands, as he explains in 1 Nephi 21. He will not forget me, because I am graven into His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment