Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Woodstock Letter #18


One of my favorite Book of Mormon stories is the story of the people of Jared in the book of Ether. They are directed to leave one area and travel to a "promised land", a land full of promise and potential.  They face some obstacles along their journey.

They arrive at a body of water and have to make barges to travel in. They had no source of light in the barges. The brother of Jared makes little stones and asks that the Lord would touch them and make them provide light. The Lord does. Ether 6:3 says "that the stones would shine in darkness to give light to men, women, and children, so that they would not travel the great waters in darkness". I got to thinking: What are the "stones" that give light to me in my journey on this great water called life, so that I do not travel through life in darkness?
My "stones of light" include people, scriptures, experiences, memories, physical objects, and so much more. It was a fun activity. (hint hint hint)

Here is my FAVORITE part of the story: Ether 6:5 says that "the Lord God caused that a furious wind blew ... towards the promised land".

What "furious winds" (difficult experiences, challenges, sacrifices, etc.) have blown you towards a "promised land" (a better experience, a better you, a new opportunity, blessings, etc.)?

This part really helped me to see how the Lord has been intimately involved in all of my difficult experiences, proving true the Lord's promise that: "I, the Lord God, visit my people in their
afflictions" (Mosiah 24:14); and His promise to prepare the people of Jared against the winds, storms, and trials as they are pushed towards the promised land.

The Lord does not leave us alone nor unprepared. Let Him prepare you, push you by the waves, and shape you. The Promised Lands He has to offer are greater than any lands we can find without Him.

Have a great week!
Leshelle

PS:  Our investigator Aline is planning to be baptized on August 25th! Aline is terrified of water (she nearly drown as a child) yet she is willing to put that fear aside and be baptized! What a joy that I will be able to see Aline baptized before I conclude my mission.



No comments:

Post a Comment