Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Woodstock Letter #16

 Leshelle & Aline's daughter


Hermana Rasmussen & Leshelle



Zone Meeting was great. I had a one on one interview with President Fenn. He is bummed that I will only be with them for a little longer (I am as well). He is a GREAT man. He gave us permission to use a P-Day to go to the temple with a less active family whose marriage is on the rocks. He also gave Elder Chicavivas (our district leader) permission to watch the best two years as a district activity. That's what we will be doing today at the church. I'm going to make salsa.

We had FIVE miraculous MEMBER PRESENT lessons this week. That was a first for me. The branch is small, making it difficult at times to have members accompany us to lessons. However, we worked really hard to make them happen - I waited on the street praying one day in full faith that Rocio (a branch member, with no phone, never having been to Aline's house before,with no plan to come that day) would drive by and see me so she could visit Aline with Hermana Rasmussen and me. I waited longer than I probably should have. However, I refused to give up. I knew that Heavenly Father could and would work a miracle. I prayed to know if I should stop waiting there. I felt I should stay. I did. Hermana and Hermano Calix pulled over to tell us hello. She had seen me on the side of the road. That was my first time meeting Hno Calix. Rocio eventually DID come, making a forever impact on both her and Aline (as you can see in what I will write below about their friendship). Heavenly Father really does answer prayers of faith.

I truly believed that two weeks ago had been the peak of the Sunday miracles. Well...yesterday FOUR INVESTIGATORS WENT TO CHURCH!!! (plus four children). I have to start from the beginning:

Aline had been looking forward to attending Church all week. She had plans to attend, and all was well. She texted us Sunday morning to say that she would arrive late. Her car was in the shop because her battery had some problems. She would be able to arrive for the last hour. Not so. Later she texted to say that her car was still acting up after she'd got it back. Rocio (member) overheard us in the hall when I called her, and offered to go pick up Aline and her three kids. Aline didn't want to have Rocio go all the way into Woodstock. Rocio insisted, and off she went. I went in to play the piano for Sacrament Meeting. Aline arrived with Rocio a bit later, three kids in tow. We occupied the kids with my kid-pack  (crayons, stickers, paper, cards, etc, etc, etc.). Then, the English Elders showed up in our Spanish meeting with a phone, telling me that I needed to give Paz directions. Several times before Paz said that she would attend Church, but had yet to come. She arrived just three minutes later, with both of her kids. Carlos, the older of her two children, is the one who read the entire illustrated Book of Mormon in just one week (we left him only one chapter to read); he not only read it - he understands it. He knows more about the Book of Mormon than several adults in the Church. Jose was also able to go to Church yesterday; even with his knee injury, he made a great effort to be there at Church. 

To top things off, the Elders had an investigator attend all three hours of Church, and Hermano Calix (the member I met while waiting in the street for Rocio)  was there as well! He has been inactive for many years. His sweet wife comes to Church faithfully. I was so happy for her.

The man from the High Council that came to speak in Sacrament Meeting did a wonderful job. He frequents our branch and speaks Spanish. He is one of the sweetest men I've ever met. He shared a beautiful message from his genuine, tender heart. His message really touched Aline and Paz. I was very grateful for his words and how they effected these special friends of mine.

We left Church overcome with joy! These people have become my friends - my family. To see them come to Church, and to see them grow closer to their Heavenly Father, has been the highlight of my experiences here. They are wonderful people. I love being able to share with them. I think I am a bit closer to understanding the joy that comes solely because of the joy of someone else. The good in their lives - the changes and growth - are more important to me than my own!

Rocio texted us after Church to thank us for her new friend, informing us that she and Aline had become fast friends. It is as if they are sisters, she said. (It's true - once I saw them together, I laughed. They are adorable. Their kids get along really well, also). The idea to have Rocio come to an appointment with us had come to my mind as I prayed for both of them one night. I realized that they needed to meet. The Lord is so good! He was able to answer the prayers and needs of two of His daughters through one another.

We fasted on Sunday for a family who really needs their papers. They are really struggling. The father just informed us that his papers are two weeks away! We  are still praying that his wife will be able to get her papers soon, also.

After church the branch president pulled me aside and told me that I have done a wonderful job here, making a difference and having a great impact. Boy, seeing him so happy was a very happy moment for me. The hope in his faith is something that I will not forget.

I know that the Lord is using me to the fullest capacity in these last weeks of my mission. The stretch marks are already showing on my soul - I feel it daily. Yet, I know that He is working me into something greater than I could ever mold myself.

Love,
Leshelle

No comments:

Post a Comment