Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blue Island Letter #18

Hermana Hoer

Well, for El Dia de Los Reyes (Day of the Kings), we parted el rostro (a HUGE, round bread with sugar, pineapple, and strawberry slivers of toppings in the shape of a crown). I only ate two little pieces and ended up finding a muneca in both pieces! The tradition is to part the pieces of bread. If you find a little plastic figurine -- a muneca -- (of baby Jesus) in your piece, you find Christ with you in your life that year. You also make tamales for everyone on the 2nd of February (or is it the 4th? I don't remember)...I'm not sure where I'll get the time to do that. Or the ability. I've never made tamales before in my life!

I've had some neat experiences studying scriptures lately. Things that I didn't quite get in English are clarified by the Spanish word, and Spanish scriptures are clarified in English. It's really neat to compare the words because they reinforce and add upon one another, deepening my understanding. Languages are so rad! 

Be happy!
Hermana Hoer



No comments:

Post a Comment