Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Blue Island Letter #15



MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

I am thrilled beyond description to speak with my family in FOUR days! I have been looking forward to it for months. I haven't thought much of it because I didn't want to drive myself crazy. (I am naturally crazy enough). However, I have not been very successful at NOT thinking about it this week. Four days...

I feel so blessed. I received four packages and five letters in one day! My little, dinky tree is loaded with gifts. Thank you all for your love. More than anything that the packages or letters contain, I receive your love; that is the most important part to me. Thank you for thinking of me and loving me.

Being away from family and normal life during the holidays gets me thinking a bit differently. It's been a blessing in disguise. Christmas isn't about gifts or even about ginger-doodles. It isn't about the tree (even though I always make a stink about it). It isn't about carolling or stocking cereal. So, why do we do all that? I've put a bit of thought into the question: why do I miss all that? Why does it matter to me? I think I've come up with an answer.

We create traditions because it is a way to share. Through them we share what Christ is all about: love, companionship, peace, support, comfort, security, and joy.

Thank you to each of you who has sent me parts of traditions - pieces of my heart. Especially Mom. When we separate ourselves from the normal environment, we have a new perspective. I'm able to see with new eyes the meaning behind traditions of the holidays. It truly is about sharing. We share Jesus Christ. We share who He is. We share His qualities.

Jesus Christ gave the greatest gift: Himself. In some way, I hope that we can each do the same for this holiday season, and every day of the year. Give ourselves. He is the reason we are able to experience joy, peace, hope, love. He wants us to experience those things. He wants us to share them.

Lots of Love, and big big hugs!

Leshelle

No comments:

Post a Comment