Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Chicago Letter #13





STATISTICS for the week:

- Number of flat tires: 3
All three were in the same day, on the same bike...it was a terrific day. On the third flat, I stopped, took a breath, laughed, and sat on the curb. I thought to myself "where is this supposed to take me???" My companion laughed as I asked 'What would Dora do?' Calleigh and I watched Dora a time or two, and I thought back to the good ole days. Backpack! That's what Dora would do - she'd go to her backpack and look for something useful. I did just that. Let's see...hmm....a Bible, a Libro de Mormon, and a spare one, writing utensils, a wallet, a water bottle, mints...well, looks like the only useful thing at the moment is a wallet, and I should just go get a new tube for my tire. We did, even though they over charged me big time.
- Number of days that were uncomfortably, ridiculously humid: 8/7
(the 8th day gets spread over the others - that's how bad it is)
- Toe Nail cutting sessions of 100 year old women: 1 - (1 more than enough)
We were visiting a member of our ward, who takes care of her mother. They know she's over 100, but no one knows her exact age or even her birthday. She's a bit crazy, or maybe just childlike (those with children may argue the two are sometimes one in the same...). When we got there, she asked us to cut her toenails. I played the "I'm new and don't speak Spanish" card. My companion, however, did it. Those were some of the nastiest toe nails I've ever seen. What a champ!
- Average speed: SLOW
Turns out the Purple Pedal wasn't all I'd hoped it would be. More of a Purple Pansy if you ask me...It's a kid bike and doesn't go very fast. I pedal and I pedal with all the strength I can summon, and then I get passed by an old guy with a cane. No joke. I keep a steady pace of a really intense power walk. Maybe the slowest jog.
I've decided it is a test of patience. I think I've failed a few times on that test this week. Good thing I don't have a report card...that would be embarrassing. But...

Headlines:

SUPERBIKE BACK FROM THE DEAD???

Yep, it's true! I filed a suit against the Purple Pedal for false advertisement, and I won! I took the mutilated corpse of my dear SuperBike to a friend, who said he could help. The previous bike shop would charge me $200. My friend was able to do it for only $67!!!!! He was able to use old parts - wrong color, but that just adds a whole new element of character - and worked all he could to save me some money. How awesome is that?!?!? So...SuperBike is BACK! (well, as of Thrusday, tomorrow) I am so excited!

This week has been one of adventures and lots of challenges. But, all of my experiences have led me to think about a lot of things. In reading the most recent General Conference talks, I came across something that really stuck out to me. "The greatest joy we receive in this life is in following the Savior" - L. Tom Perry. I know that is so true! There is no other way to receive pure joy than by following the Savior. There is simply no other way. There are other types of happiness, but they are not the same joy that we receive as we follow Jesus Christ.

It is not always easy to follow Christ. Sometimes it requires sacrifice. But, according to the definition of sacrifice, we give up something valuable for something more valuable. In other words, it is always worth it. By following Christ, no matter the cost, I have received so much joy - the kind that cannot be explained, but only experienced. When we truly desire to follow Christ, we can! No matter how hard it is: "It is our actions and our desires that cause us to become something" as Dallin H. Oaks said. These types of things don't usually happen overnight. They take time, and effort, and sometimes pain along the way. When we trust Him, he leads us through all of it - even if we can't see the steps in front of us.

Trust Him. Follow Him. Then experience the joy

No comments:

Post a Comment