Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chicago Letter #11

Hermana Hoer doing her daily studying...





The day after I last wrote, we had the CRAZIEST hail I have ever experienced. I later learned that our area got the lesser part of the storm. The next day, I saw cars with dents all over them. They were in the worse part, down further south in the city city. It was miraculous. It came out of nowhere. One minute, we were sweating, just walking in the shade. Ten minutes later, the sky turns black and golf-balls of hail rocket to the ground. They were bouncing a good 6 inches to a foot off the ground. They hit so hard. And they were HUGE. It lasted about ten minutes - strait hail. It was so loud. Fortunately, our church building is raised above ground, and the parking lot is beneath it. So, we stayed in the parking lot and just watched with my jaw dropping. I assumed it was not unheard of in Chicago. Yet, the woman we were with told me that in her whole life (23 years) in Chicago, she has never seen something like that. It was amazing. It makes me think of how small we really are, and that we are not the ones in control.

Speaking of loud noises...here are some fun stats

- Number of days this week fireworks were going off: 7 It must be 4th of July or something...
Here in Chicago, the (well I think they're legal) legitimate fireworks aren't illegal like they are in CA (everything fire-related is illegal out there, though). So, fireworks - the big ones that go down in a show - were going off this entire month. As we got closer to the 4th, they became more frequent. The night of the 3rd, they were going off so much and with such power/noise, that they set off several car alarms. Fireworks + Car alarms = not sleeping well. So you'd think. When I ride a bike several miles a day, I sleep through anything now days.
- Number of times someone told me I look exaclty like their niece: 2 (both were Puerto Rican - apparently I look like Puerto Rican women named Estrella and Olga)
- Number of Proposals: 0 YAY! (My father gave me some good advice for next time I receive one - I'll just tell them my batting average...that should do it.)
- average miles biked per day: 7.5
- most miles biked in one day: 15! My legs are rocks! They haven't been like that since I was catching on my high school softball team!

I'll be honest, SuperBike and I are kind of getting over a fight. Everytime SuperBike is around, I have to bike somewhere in the heat. So, I don't want to talk about SuperBike. Don't worry - it's still Super. My attitude isn't though... :)

I know I talked about these things last week; but, I am going to talk about them again. Sometimes I look around me and think the world is coming to an end, because things in it are so horrible. However, despite the madness, and the awful status of some things in the world, I don't fear. I've been reading through Ether and thinking about the paralells around me. I got to something that hit me really powerfully: Ether 12:4

"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of god, which hope, cometh of faith, maketh and anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."

Ether just finished telling of the AWFUL things going on around him. He was alone, in so many ways. Yet, he can say that! Here in Chicago, it seems to me that what sticks out everyday is all that is awful, crude, animal, disgusting. It sticks out without looking for it. I kept thinking of it as I read Ether.

I - with a surety - hope for a better world, even at the right hand of God. My soul is anchored by hope and faith. I will be steadfast and sure, abounding in good works, glorifying God. I know where my roots are and what they hold me to.

I'm not the only one that can say that. You can too. Read Ether 12:9

-Hermana Hoer

No comments:

Post a Comment