Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Woodstock Letter #3


Hermana Hoer and the Relief Society Presidency


Another story about our ward mission leader:

After our Ward Correlation Meeting we asked him what he wants for his birthday (we gave him a cake and a big card at our meeting). His response was to share some personal things with us - some very pure desires of his heart. At the same time, he shared some personal struggles and obstacles.
I felt strongly impressed to write him a note. It was short. It went something like this:

Read Alma 36. I know from personal experience that joy can replace any emptiness, guilt, or pain. Because of Christ, nothing is impossible. Let Him help you.

I have not felt so clearly in awhile that I should do something that specific.

When we arrived home that evening, I was bombarded with tender mercies. I'd received the Easter package from home (the highlight of which was a TAPE!), 5 letters (after two weeks of nothing due to my transfer), and a phone call at the very end of the day...

The phone call was from our ward mission leader. I figured he had a question of some kind. Nope. He called to say thank you. He said that note, that scripture had helped him immensely. He said he's felt spiritually empty for a long time, and he now knows what he needs to do. He had an experience unlike he's ever had before - all because of that scripture.

The scriptures have an indescribable power to change and bless our lives for the better. The scriptures are conduits for the Lord to influence us. I see it time and time again. The best part is that it wasn't me - I told him as much. I was an instrument in God's hands. I am grateful that He confirmed to me that I was acting under the direction of the Spirit to help this man, my brother.

Missionary work isn't just about baptizing - it's about helping ALL people become more converted to Jesus Christ, no matter where they are in their conversion process. All of us have room to increase our conversion and commitment to Christ. All of us. 

Love,
Leshelle

No comments:

Post a Comment