Monday, March 5, 2012

Blue Island Letter #26

Hermana Hoer -- baking cookies!



Happy Birthday to SETH and RASHAUNA!
Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes!

We attended our Stake Conference yesterday. An Area Seventy spoke as the Spirit directed him. The Stake split the conference into two sessions - one in English and one in Spanish. We were in the Spanish session, of course. It was a neat realization moment for me, sitting in a Spanish meeting taking notes in Spanish. I can do that! That's kinda neat...

The Area Seventy: (I totally don't remember his name, sorry) Menish, something like that...???
He spoke directly to the Spanish people, and really emphasized their role in bringing the gospel to the world. He referred to a scripture which I love in 2 Nephi 1:

 5 But, said he, notwithstanding our afflictions, we have obtained a land of promise, a land which is choice above all other lands; a land which the Lord God hath ccovenanted with me should be a land for the inheritance of my seed. Yea, the Lord hath covenanted this land unto me, and to my children forever, and also all those who should be led out of other countries by the hand of the Lord.
 6 Wherefore, I, Lehi, prophesy according to the workings of the Spirit which is in me, that there shall none come into this land save they shall be brought by the hand of the Lord.
 7 Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound, cursed shall be the land for their sakes, but unto the righteous it shall be blessed forever.

He then said that they have come to the US to be prepared, in order to take the gospel to others of different language, culture, and country. Isn't it interesting, he pointed out, that so many of the members that come to this country have children serving missions in their native country?

He also talked (He spoke in English and they had translation) about the power of the Spirit to be conveyed, regardless of language. It crosses language and cultural differences to touch the heart.

His words were really powerful. It really struck me at how cultures and languages are tools in God's hands to accomplish His purposes. I recently found a neat article that talks about how the gospel overcomes all cultural differences. I have yet to read it; though, I find it very interesting to try to see God's hand in it all.

I also got to thinking about my own experience. I'm generations removed from my ancestors immigrating to the States. However, each one of us is here because we (via our ancestors or our own lives) were brought by the hand of the Lord. There is no other way to come here. You and I are here because the Lord wanted us to be here, because He guided us here. That is a neat thing to think about. It helps me remember and be more grateful for my family membe'rs efforts and sacrifices to come here.

Have a Happy March.
Leshelle

No comments:

Post a Comment