Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blue Island Letter #1

EDITOR'S NOTE: While we wait to hear from Leshelle about her new house address, you can send mail to her at the mission home. I've updated her "Current Mailing Address" located on the right side of the blog under her photo. The missionaries receive mail sent to the mission home just a day or two later than if it were mailed to them directly.



Hermana Hoer and SuperBike go their Separate Ways...

There was a tearful (oh, wait, that was rain...) good-bye via one last ride the evening of the 30th. SuperBike sqealed in agony at the upcoming separation. (Okay, so the brakes got wet and they just make that noise). As Hermana Hoer walked away from her beloved SuperBike, she took one last glance to see it propped against the wall of the basement, and memories flooded back...oh, what a good ride we've had.

But, the good news is I've moved onto Air Conditioning!!!!! How cool is that!?! I am in a car, with AC, heat, a CD player (I don't have to sing, attracting crazy drunks anymore), and a trunk! I don't have to carry everything on my back at all times. Wow. My wardrobe just doubled, and now includes all the things that just didn't work on a bike. I miss SuperBike already; but, I've also reveled in the joys of driving once again. It's been since February - about 6 months - since I really drove.

My new area is in the south side of Chicago. The word everyone uses to describe Blue Island is "ghetto". Perfect, let's send the short, white girl. It's so different from the city where I was. It's spread out more than the city. I am excited to experience something new. I'll miss the city, certainly. However, I think a change was due.

In the past week I have had such a roller coaster of experiences. Through it all, I've come away with such a sure knowledge that God is in control (even, and especially, when I am not). No matter what gets thrown my way, I know that Heavenly Father is on my side. I may feel like I am drowning, but He is there, and He will not let me drown. Never. Sometimes it may feel I'm drowning; but, from His perspective, He sees that I'm moving in the right direction through all the struggling. At times we struggle for just a moment; others, for a while. As I struggle, trusting that He won't let me drown, I always end up somewhere beautiful that only He could have known I was headed for.

One of the most valuable things I did this week was count my blessings. It changed everything. It changed my attitude, my heart, my views, and my circumstance. Somehow, by counting my blessings, I was surrounded by them. I couldn't count them all. From the little things, like sunshine and a six year old's smile, to the great blessings of miraculous protection and more than coincidental help from people, I have so many blessings to count. I always do. I just forget to count them at times.

Thank you for your prayers and letters. I'll get my new address soon. But, for now, the mission address will get to me. I LOVE the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That's the greatest blessing ever possible. That and my family go hand in hand as the first blessing that comes to mind every day. That's why I'm here - so that other people can have the same blessings I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment