Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Blue Island Letter #24

Hermana Hoer & Friends



I will hit ONE YEAR this week - Thursday, the 23rd. Can we believe I have been gone for that long? Sometimes it seems as though it cannot be nearly a year. Other times, it seems as though I have been gone for much longer than a year. Strange how time works in our brains.

Someone asked Hermana Moffat about why we have to repent before baptism if we're baptized to be cleansed of our sins. She repeated the question to me, and I had this thought:

Before we can get a license, we have to study, practice, and take a test in order to qualify. Once we fill the requirements, we are permitted to drive. Once we have a licence, we are able to drive "more" than with just a permit. A law degree works this way, too. If we have a law degree, we can practice law in the courtroom. But, look at all that is required to get a law degree. Lots. Once we have the degree, we can pass the BAR to actually practice law, then we can go forward and even become a judge at some point. However, if we never have a law degree, we're limited in what we can do in the law field.

How does this relate to repentance before baptism? Well...God gives us checkpoints to make sure we're prepared so that we can progress. These checkpoints and steps enable us to continually move forward. Look at the Gospel. Baptism has steps leading to it, right? Repentance and faith. But, also praying, reading scriptures, going to church, etc. After baptism, we are opened to more opportunities that were not available to us before baptism: callings, patriarchal blessings, missions, temple endowments, temple sealings, etc. It all builds from the steps (or principles) of faith and repentance that we need to take first. We need to prepare and qualify for the ability to "practice law"or "to drive" forward in the blessings and opportunities available to us.

The district had some BIG changes -- new elders!!!! Elder Lavelua is from New Zealand. He is in the spanish program, and in our ward. He has a heart of gold, and is such a gentleman. He is perfect for his companion. Elder Clawson is from Provo and is AWESOME! He has so much energy and spunk. He is so open and teachable, and so so willing. Elder Green is still a mystery to me. I don't know him. He's in English, as is Elder Clawson. However, I know that these arrivals are all perfect for their companions.  The elder's attitudes towards us Hermanas is very respectful and supportive. We're going bowling as a district today. I love bowling!

At the baptism this past Saturday and at Church on Sunday, I had a really neat realization. My ward members are my family here and they really love me as such. It was a peace and comfort to feel that. One Hermano came up to me after Church and told me that I have a very special spirit about me that will never be forgotten. He told me that I've been an angel to the ward, and that I have had a very special influence there. The feelings I had, the assurance of their love for me, helped me to see part of the good I have been able to do in this area. It is a blessing to be able to see it and feel it. I think it's going to be harder for me to leave this area than I expected. 

Hermana Moffat and I were walking along the street, on our way to look for a former investigator, when we came across a woman and her dog. We struck up a conversation. Turns out Diane and her husband have been looking for a Church. We set up an appointment to return the following day. In the appointment, we taught her about the Restoration. She asked how often we have baptisms in the Church and if she could be baptized in our church even if she'd been baptized previously in another church. YES! We put her on date for the 10th of March! The Lord truly prepares His children. She's opted to go in English, so we're going to turn her over to the English Elders. No matter, because it's all the same Celestial Kingdom, right?

We've been praying to find a family to baptize before the end of this transfer. As we prayed to know which less active members to visit one evening, a former investigator (Julio) came to my mind.  We knocked on his door. Once. Twice. Thrice. No response. Why did we have the impression to come to Julio's, we wondered?  A family passed by to go upstairs as we were knocking and waiting at Julio's door. We said hi, and they didn't respond very much. As we were leaving the apartment building, the man from the family chased us down the stairs. He asked if we talk about God. Yes. Could we come over to talk to him and his family? Yes. So, we have another appointment with Ernesto y Mari this evening! We went yesterday, but Mari was not at home. We were able to talk to Ernesto in the hall, where he invited himself to Church and we invited him to an activity this coming Saturday.

Missionary work is exciting!

Love,
Leshelle
 

1 comment:

  1. My Hermana Leshelle My Belle: Your words are powerful and mighty because your your Spirit shines through to find meaning and direction for your Work. You are awesome and you are powerful in how you carry out your calling in service to others! I know I'm bias in my feelings toward just how great you are -- regardless -- what I say here is true. It's good to know about the lives you have touched for their "good". We love you and pray for your safety and success.

    Moroni 8:3

    Jack (Wood)

    ReplyDelete