Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chicago Letter #4

Highlights (okay, so some are not so high...but they are entertaining):

- We moved!!! We were assisted by other missionaries. Only one piece of furniture perished in the move up three flights of stairs. We took a door off to get our couch out (Dad, you'd be so proud of me - 6 Elders couldn't figure it out - Growing up with you made me look like a genius!) We no longer live on a slant - our old apartment was visibly slanted in the kitchen and bathroom. Water pooled on one corner of the sink it was so slanted. And this apartment doesn't have "surprises", like the surprises left right out our back door from our other landlord's dogs!

- Our new neighbors are students. They are very kind. Though, I've determined that they study more than academics. Our back stairway smells of a substance that is not quite legal...

- We acquired a wheelchair. Our Zone Leaders love to leave little gifts for us. This week just so happened to be a wheelchair. In our shower. They snuck it in as they "helped" us move. Alterior motives? I think so. However, we may just have a use for it. My companion is having a surgery on her foot this week. (We'll have a car for a week or two!)

- Adventures of SuperBike:

SuperBike saved my life this week! HumidHeat decided to leave town. Of course he did, because another EnemyElement showed up: WickedWind, complete with Freeze-your-Face guns. FrigidWind is a distant cousin. They took turns this week destroying my hair, biting my face, and convincing my skirt that it wanted to sit in my lap as I rode my bike. Ladylike, no? WickedWind tryied to make me look bad. I'm one step ahead with shorts and leggings. I may not be a Boyscout, but I am always prepared.

Humid to freezing wind? I've concluded that Chicago suffers from a severe case of Bipolar Weatherism. I am not licensed to diagnose; but, I have a strong hunch. It's uncommon, but not rare, so beware wherever you are.

Saliva was the other attacker of the week. On two different instances, it was propelled at me. Thank goodness for SuperBike - I was faster than the spitting skills of some kids who (I have decided to tell myself) were having a spitting contest. My companion was on a normal bike and her face received a hit. Boy, am I glad my SuperBike chose me as soon as I entered Chicago... However, a cup of pre-chewed sunflower seeds was not detected on my SuperBike radar. (I'm having it installed when we have a car next week). My companion cut off a van, which must have a sunflower seed throwing device. The sunflower seeds came out the window, aimed for my companion. However...WickedWind seized the opportunity to attack! The seeds were blown in my direction and coated my coat.

All ended well. I carry sanitizer.

So, on to the what I learned this week. It is not all that different from last week. I was doing some reading and Charity caught my attention. I've done a lot of studying. If I had my scriptures with me (sorry, they were really heavy to carry both languages...) I would write it down. Somewhere in Corinthians (I think) is my favorite chapter on Charity. Chapter 11 or 13 of 1st or 2nd Corinthinans (goosechase, anyone?)

It talks about all the things that Charity is greater than. Charity endures forever, even after all other things fade or stop. Charity never stops. So, no matter how many talents I have, abilities I have, sacrifices I make, words I say, powers I have (even SuperBike powers), nothing is going to matter if I don't have charity.

That really hit me. I try to develop talents and abilities, serve other people, and do all sorts of things, but none of it is really going to matter if I don't have a foundation built of the love of Christ, which is exactly what charity is.

As I strive to love as Christ did, Charity will be at the root of all things I do. It will direct my life and actions, words and thoughts. I will not have to wonder if I'm going in the right direction when I am built on Christ's love, because "charity never faileth".

If you'd like to join me, I've decided to focus on developing charity before anything else. I have a hunch: as I develop and focus on charity, I'll find that I am also developing many other things along the way. Let me know how it goes for you!

Love to everybody! Be good! Remember who you are!

1 comment:

  1. lol i didn't know you had a blog, I'm so glad I found this! and the bikes, bless your heart! love ya and hope things are goin well!

    ReplyDelete